The first is an ornament made from wine corks. It is shaped in the configuration of a cluster of grapes and then decorated with green glitter and other fun stuff. It is very lightweight and pretty.It honors the work Buddy and I did in creating his winery dream. We created something from nothing. He had a dream, God opened doors and we followed the path. There were many anxieties and fears, especially at the beginning. We overcame the fear to follow in that path. Although there were many struggles and ultimately, we closed due his illness, it was a part of our lives for many years, An accomplishment to be remembered and celebrated. And, of course, it is made with sparkly stuff. I like sparkly stuff....a lot.
The second is a round red ornament with a big red bow that says " I love my RESCUE DOG" in big bold letters. And it has paw prints all around. It is a large ornament and makes a statement in a bold fashion. That is something I appreciate.
Especially in the past 8-9 years, adopting homeless dogs has become my thing. It started with Bear, a 9 year old lab/greyhound mix that the humane society was having difficulty finding a home for because he was 9 and probably because he was black. He had been there for 3 months when we took him home. All of the dogs we have added to our family since then have been rescues.
I believe that most rescue pups have various emotional issues. They struggle because of the life they were born into or the situation developed and they eventually ended up homeless. Some of these dogs, I would probably not be qualified to help, in fact there are some aggression issues that would be just over the top for me to be able to manage. However, there are some problems I can work handle. Especially as I learned more about the "pack and alpha mentality". I feel good that with all of my dogs, rescues and not, I have learned more about being the leader. It has helped me manage them better. And when there is a pup with some issues, I have found that I can provide a home, provide love, stability and structure. To work with those insecurities and personality issues so that they can settle, enjoy life and be happy makes me happy.
Especially in the past 8-9 years, adopting homeless dogs has become my thing. It started with Bear, a 9 year old lab/greyhound mix that the humane society was having difficulty finding a home for because he was 9 and probably because he was black. He had been there for 3 months when we took him home. All of the dogs we have added to our family since then have been rescues.
I believe that most rescue pups have various emotional issues. They struggle because of the life they were born into or the situation developed and they eventually ended up homeless. Some of these dogs, I would probably not be qualified to help, in fact there are some aggression issues that would be just over the top for me to be able to manage. However, there are some problems I can work handle. Especially as I learned more about the "pack and alpha mentality". I feel good that with all of my dogs, rescues and not, I have learned more about being the leader. It has helped me manage them better. And when there is a pup with some issues, I have found that I can provide a home, provide love, stability and structure. To work with those insecurities and personality issues so that they can settle, enjoy life and be happy makes me happy. The 3rd ornament came in the mail just this past week. It is made with 2 different metals.
The first is pewter color in the shape of a leaf and attached to the stem is a smaller piece of copper colored metal that is a sign.It says, "Every season tells a new story, 2015". It was given to me not so much as an ornament for my tree, but to celebrate this blog and my venture into the world of writing. It was meant to help me find a celebration in and amongst my grief. That in spite of the blackness in my world right now, there are some stars sparkling if I choose to see them.This ornament is unique. Its craftsmanship is beautiful but because of the materials it is made from, it is heavier than most ornaments. And it is the weight of it that speaks to me right now.The weight of this leaf represents a few different messages to me.
The weight of it represents the strength that I see in it my character, my message, my gifts. I have generally viewed myself as "sturdy" more than "decorative". God made me a force, a leader and a friend. Sometimes, that involves speaking the truth in love. Speaking with love sometimes means speaking with gentleness, sometimes with humor and other times with directness. Always, with the intention of bringing forth the light in someone else. It is not always easy or fun. That is where the sturdiness comes in.
Secondly, in regards to our marriage I look back and see myself as supporting structure in the building that was our life. I viewed myself as a stable and strong part of the structure we became together. Maybe not a foundation but more of a support beam that was also a safe haven. A place where there was protection from the storms we encountered.
And lastly, the direct message engraved upon the copper. I did not ask for or want the changes that have been brought into my life in the past 2 years with Buddy's illness and death. My expectation and hope was that we would live a long life and grow old together. However, that is not what I was given. God has a different plan for me now. The bible says, "I have come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly." There is a new story in this new season of my life. There is a door to walk through, something else to accomplish. A new purpose.
I have struggled to be open to this new life, the abundant life. The one without my dear husband and friend. That new purpose, the open door, it is there, awaiting my acceptance and the willingness to walk through that open door. It is that weight of the ornament that speaks to the strength required to let go of my grief and walk through that open door.
No comments:
Post a Comment