Saturday, January 2, 2016

Coexistence Instead of Distraction- Part 3 of 3

Here I sit at this little cafe. It is Christmas Eve and the sun is shining bright and holiday decorations are all around. Bright packages and daisies, santas and snowflakes. As I sit in the sunshine small waves of sadness pass through. Relaxed and people watching, I enjoy a drink at this downtown cafe. My sadness sits here with me as I sit and observe. Knowing that today is one of those "first holidays" I will face, I expect it to be hard no matter where I am. So, today, I enjoy this little cafe. I appreciate the decorations and the hand bells ringing somewhere nearby.

Rather than trying to distract myself from my sadness and grief, I invite it to sit with me right here for awhile. It's not going to leave me alone, so today I try to enjoy the sights all around me. It is my attempt to coexist together rather than try to ignore. I expect that we, my grief and I, will be closely acquainted for some time to come. Instead of trying to ignore or distract myself from its power, it seems to me that coexistence is a wiser and healthier choice.

This is the little cafe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment