Friday, November 6, 2015

Making the Choice to Live with Passion

There are several Contemporary Christian musicians who I enjoy listening to. Many of the songs that touch me are those that reach deep inside and nuzzle my heart...especially when I am sad. There is a parallel between the message to the song and my sadness woven within these songs. It is like there is resonance between the message and my emotional struggle.

One of those artists is Rich Mullins. Sadly, he was killed in an automobile accident on the way to a concert back in the early 90s. There are several reasons I connected with Rich and his music. I think there is no question that Rich's personality was that of a melocholy personality, with a good dose of the sarcastic humor mixed in.  You can hear it in his music as he questioning of his faith. He questioned God and that wrestling, that anger, that desire to follow God, He had a
 knowledge that God is not threatened or angry that we question or wrestle with the truth. His songs highlight that there is honesty in the struggle And when his music worships, the depth of the emotion within that worship causes me to lift my arms and  Praise....

Another thing I appreciated about him is that he was rather a nonconformist. Buddy and I attended a concert where he performed the concert in cargo shorts and bare feet. I think he was a perfectionist about his writing and his music, but he didn't buy into the "perfect Sunday dress" makes for a perfect Christian life. There was a realness about him that quenched my thirst. Towards the end of that concert, he asked the audience if he had offended us yet? That his goal was to "offend" everyone in the audience at least once. His reason was to challenge the status quo that many of us in the church (I use that term meaning the as the group of people making up the community, not the building), live our lives in. Those of us who have been in that community slip into automatic and simply accept what is spoken and offered, we do not question. He encouraged that wrestling and questioning that was a part of his life, probably because by going through that process, one makes the faith their own. Makes them more open to God's leading as well.

A third thing I appreciated about him was that being a Christian was also fun. Not all sourpuss and sorrow. As I have read about his life and those who he influenced (who were interviewed after his death), life was a wild ride. They laughed and had fun as they made a difference in the lives of others.
He was a man of passion and conviction who loved God and others deeply, and challenged the friends around him and the audiences across America to make a choice, Stand up and be committed.

In my early years of living a life of faith, and even now, there is comfort in seeing his struggle as I struggle in my own life. The ability to express oneself with the heartbreak and the pain is something I have in common with him and it soothes me to see his process as well. The nonconformist in me appreciates a kindred spirit and encourages me to enjoy my faith. And, the one I find most difficult:  to take a break from the serious and have a good belly laugh. Anyway, I am not putting him on a pedestal, but I found his brand of person (at least his public personality), refreshing. 


Some of his music if you want to Google him are: Awesome God, If I Stand, Step by Step. 

In being respectful of copyright laws, I will not post a picture here but give you a link:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=rich+mullins

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Ragamuffin? A wonderful movie about his life.

    ReplyDelete