Wednesday, November 9, 2016

November 9, 2016. The Dave after the Election-It Hurts My Heart

Every 4 years, my heart breaks a little more. I see not only the media but the people around and close to me become polar opposites, mean, rude, verbally destructive and cruel. The election day comes to an end. There are winners and losers. I have been on both sides. I understand the devastation and the gratification.

But, the thing that makes me so very sad is the emotional destruction left behind. Friends who are no longer friends with each other. Ruined relationships. Why is it that every 4 years, we create an Armageddon and choose the destruction of everything we hold dear the other 3.5 years? During that 6 month period of time, where is our common decency? Our ability to choose to treat others with the opposite viewpoint with respect? The politicians perfect that ability on stage, but chances are, they were never friends. Why do we do this among ourselves when it would never be acceptable behavior during any other season?

For those whose candidates lost yesterday, I am sorry that you hurt. For those whose candidate one yesterday, congratulations. But, I just need to let those of you in my world know that every 4 years, no matter which side wins, I HATE the carnage that is left behind. Not from the candidates, but what we allow to come between us.

Know this, I am more than the title of "Republican" or "Democrat" or even "Independent". I do not agree with everything that is espoused by anyone. However, I look at the issues and I vote my conscious based upon what I believe that America needs. I do not vote because of some 'popularity club' or "to make history". I carefully choose who I believe will be best for our Country. Just, I might add, as I make decisions in my life to live the way that my conscious directs. If you, being a friend, cannot see that my life as a whole includes this piece of me that is called my "political view" as a whole, with value and conscious. I am sorry. If you cannot love me unconditionally to espouse a different viewpoint, I guess like you, I have a right to the freedom of choice. But, it hurts me that somehow between Monday and today, I have suddenly become a different person. I suddenly have become evil.

Know this: throughout my life, I have had to make hard choices. I have not chosen the popular route. I often have taken a hard stand. And in this case, if somehow I can no longer be an acceptable friend, I don't compromise because someone (even a loved one) doesn't approve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment